Spectrum is an optional enrichment program offered for students in Grades 8-10 at Steveston-London. It is designed for highly motivated students who enjoy working independently and co-operatively on a variety of learning challenges.
Students apply beginning in January of their Grade 7 year, and 29 students are accepted. Spectrum students take Math, Science, English and Social Studies together as a cohort group for three years, but they take physical education and all of their elective courses with all other SLSS students.
Students who apply are committed to the program for three years, including completing a long-term, mentor-supported, independent exploration project (ENEX). All Spectrum students must also be committed to attending week long, major field experiences each year. In Grades 8 and 9, students attend the Strathcona Outdoor Education Centre for a program in leadership and environmental stewardship. In Grade 10, students travel to Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City for a civic, cultural and historical program. Costs to families are associated with all trips.
Interested students should download and complete the application package and submit it to the Steveston-London office by the posted deadline. Application packages are available on-line only. Please note that only students who have been accepted into Steveston-London can be considered for Spectrum. Applications for transfer to Steveston-London are due to the Richmond School District by their district deadline in February. Please phone the school if you have any further questions about Spectrum (604-668-6668).
Admission to the 2021/2022 Grade 8 Spectrum Class:
Class of 2021/22 Grade 8 Spectrum Admissions - IMPORTANT DATES
- January 15: Application Package available on SLSS website
- February 19; 3 pm: Application Package due
- March 3: Assessment Day (Please note that due to the uncertainty of provincial health orders, specific information about the assessment will be released closer to the date)
- April 12 - 16: Student Interviews (Students who are invited to interview will be notified by April 9)
- May 3: Offer of Admissions sent to parents
- May 7; 3 pm: Acceptance Contracts due (Contracts submitted past the due date will not be accepted)