Please check out the Spectrum Website: http://spectrumprogram.wix.com/slssspectrum
Spectrum is an optional enrichment program offered for students in Grades 8-10 at Steveston-London. It is designed for highly motivated students who enjoy working independently and co-operatively on a variety of learning challenges.
Students apply beginning in January of their Grade 7 year, and 29 students are accepted. Spectrum students take Math, Science, English and Social Studies together as a cohort group for three years, but they take physical education and all of their elective courses with all other SLSS students.
Students who apply are committed to the program for three years, including completing a long-term, mentor-supported, independent exploration project (ENEX). All Spectrum students must also be committed to attending week long, major field experiences each year. In Grades 8 and 9, students attend the Strathcona Outdoor Education Centre for a program in leadership and environmental stewardship. In Grade 10, students travel to Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City for a civic, cultural and historical program. Costs to families are associated with all trips.
Interested students should download and complete the application package and submit it to the Steveston-London office by the posted deadline. Application packages are available on-line only. Please note that only students who have been accepted into Steveston-London can be considered for Spectrum. Applications for transfer to Steveston-London are due to the Richmond School District by their district deadline in February. Please phone the school if you have any further questions about Spectrum (604-668-6668).
SPECTRUM 10 Opportunity - 2020-21:
- There is an opportunity for current Grade 9 students to join the Grade 10 Spectrum Program in the 2020/21 school year. If you are interested, read the attached information sheet, and complete and return the attached application form by Wed. June 17, 2020. Note that the application form is pdf fillable.
- For more detailed information on the Program, see the Spectrum website (link at the top of this page).
Application Dates for Spectrum 10 2020
- Student Application Package due to the SLSS office: Wed., June 17, 2020, 3:00 p.m.
- Offers of Admission sent (by e-mail): Monday, June 22, 2020.
- Acceptance Contracts returned to SLSS: due by Wednesday, June 24, 2020. Students who do not let us know their decision by this date will have their spot offered to those on the waitlist.